Principle 5 Dispose
Alignment with this principle will ensure that agencies comply with the requirement in the Archives Act 1983 for records to be delivered to the State Archivist for public use or reference, unless lawfully destroyed. The prompt, secure and lawful disposal of non-current records is essential to support accountable and efficient records management.
- Records disposal must be approved by the State Archivist
- The agency must develop and maintain an approved Retention and Disposal Schedule, covering all unique agency-specific functions
- Records destruction must be secure, documented and appropriate to the media
- The agency must have an active disposal program
- Custody of records must be appropriately managed during Government administrative change
- Disposal of source records must meet TAHO requirements
- The agency must not decommission or migrate business systems without consulting TAHO
- Permanent records must be retained in the agency for no longer than 25 years and then transferred to TAHO (unless an exemption has been granted by the State Archivist)
To access the required document, simply click on the hyperlink in the Name field. Documents can also be sorted by the filters at the top of each column.